Friday, January 25, 2008

ihappy

It's 11:30 on Friday and I'm the happiest I've been in some time.
Happyiphone
I'm a cynical person who typically spreads depression. So why the smile? As you can see from the photo, I bought an iphone and now wonder how I ever lived without it. I'm also very excited about Barkus on Sunday. Our float and costumes look great, and moreover, its Indiana Jones theme is a dream for geeky Near Eastern archaeologists/historians like me. I tried unsuccessfully to explain this to my students today, about how Near Eastern archaeologists need to quote Indiana Jones movies in order to gain prestige. I remember being in the back of a Bedouin's pickup truck in the deserts of south Jordan, and as we passed another pickup, Craig Bowman yelled "Indie, throw me the idol, I throw you the whip." Everyone was impressed, except for the Bedouins. And at Petra, urrr I mean the Valley of the Crescent Moon, every self-respecting archaeologist needs to say repeatedly "Only the penitent man will pass." I'm also very excited that the super parade Endymion is returning to my Mid-City neighborhood next weekend. Moreover, I'm on my way to our house on South Alexander street to pay our general contractor $20,000 for the work he's done. After 2 1/2 years of nothing happening on our house, it is so great to see it progress. Plus the Jazzfest lineup this year looks fantastic, and I'm going to try to buy tickets to Rush tomorrow, which is coincidentally my 42nd birthday. I'll be celebrating on the parade route near Lee Circle. Stop by and say "Where Y'at?"

Life is good in New Orleans these days, at least it is for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crap! If I'd known that's all it would take to make you quit whining I'd have bought you an iphone when it came out.

Anonymous said...

Your students didn't understand, huh?

Maybe you should ask them to call you Nebraska Homan.

Ashley said...

Since I got my iPhone, I don't carry a notebook computer back and forth to Chicago. I can do just about everything with the phone except edit documents, and I don't want to do that on a plane anyhoo.

Next time we meet up, remind me to tell you about my trip to Bahrain.

rcs said...

Congrats on the acquisition (and corresponding good mood) - all other phones pale in comparison. I thought my iPhone had died recently (turned out it was a drained battery) and had to revert to my old smartphone (a Sony-Ericcson P910.) Not sure how I EVER thought that thing was cool.

Leigh C. said...

It HAS been a while since another Indiana Jones movie has been out there. There's one coming out soon with Shia LeBoeuf as Harrison Ford's and Karen Black's love child.

Maybe THEN it will be cool again to be into a Harrison Ford movie...

MMK and YMR said...

"That belongs in a Museum", is one of my favourite Indy quotes. And I must admit that it warms my heart to hear of a non-Canadian Rush fan. I hope that your birthday was happy. Can't wait for the Barkus pics. Morag