Saturday, January 19, 2008

Good Kings and Bad People

KingCakeBaby
This is a plastic baby, and we shove it in King Cakes. It's supposed to represent the baby Jesus. Whoever gets the piece with the baby in it buys the next King Cake. Today is a major milestone in the Mardi Gras season, as Krewe du Vieux will be marching through the French Quarter later this evening. Their theme is the Magical Misery Tour, so there will be some great parody of Beatle's songs. So that's one good king, the baby that is. Another is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, who has a holiday coming up Monday. I'm looking forward to honoring the man.

But this year, on Martin Luther King Jr Day, some white supremacists who go by the name of the Nationalist Movement will be armed and marching in Jena Louisiana to protest the earlier March in favor of justice and equality. They also made a banner saying "No Kings Over Us," which you can check out in this disturbing Youtube video. Let me guess . . ., I'll bet nooses are part of their theme.

It all makes me wish I had married an African-American woman. Still glad I don't own a gun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truly great KdV pics! Thank you so much!