Monday, April 23, 2007

Our Road Home Check for $150,461: We Be Rich

P4230117.JPG
Here we are holding our Road Home check that I picked up today, 603 days after Katrina. I only know that it is 603 days from Maitri's blog. It's for $150,461. I don't expect ever again in my life to hold so much money. I had other pictures earlier on Flickr, even a close up of the check, but in the bizzaro world of post-Katrina New Orleans, a few seconds after I posted the pictures I got a phone call from the blogger who wears kilts and he advised me to take the picture down as it showed routing numbers. Thanks Loki. Can you believe it? New Orleans bloggers saved my house. And now with the new wealth, I'm planning on putting spinner rims on my bicycle.

By the way, the check was for $120K to rebuild our house, thanks to Allstate not living up to their contract, and $30K to raise our house. The check I received today included both sums. I'm glad that we can at least earn interest while we wait, instead of the banks.

Now all I need to do is to convince the IRS not to tax this money. If Allstate would have paid me, it wouldn't be taxed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Tim Bulkeley said...

Phew!!! Thank God. At last!

Anonymous said...

Looks like someone need a haircut (or a skateboard). Seriously, though. . . mucho congratulations. It's about time some of your ginormous efforts have begun to pay off.

Anonymous said...

Road Home funds are taxable only if you took a casualty loss on your home (the structure itself) on your 2005 or 2004 taxes.

Leigh C. said...

Mazel tov!

Deposit or cash that check QUICK, man!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, y'all. I hope this foreshadows Kalypso getting her wii.

Anonymous said...

Yippee! Hugs to all of you!

Anonymous said...

Huzzah!

mominem said...

Congratulations.

Since I started late I guess I get to wait about six more months. You'll be moved in by then.

Anonymous said...

Received my roadhome check 13 months ago, still waiting on carpenters and such to come to the house and start the work.
Deposited check in savings account, am drawing around .15%.
Good luck to you.