Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Leadbelly's Legacy Blocks My Youtube Video

I just received an email from the YouTube "Content Identification Team" that the audio I used in a video of my kids lifting our house was unlawful and they are blocking the video. This was the main part of their email:

A copyright owner has claimed it owns some or all of the audio content in your video Raising the Homan House in New Orleans. The audio content identified in your video is New Orleans by Lead Belly. We regret to inform you that your video has been blocked from playback due to a music rights issue.

But I can't figure out who to contact to ask for permission. I just emailed leadbellymusic@leadbelly.org, and asked if they were the ones who blocked it. The main point is that the song is about a house in New Orleans, and the rising part fit well with the idea of raising our house. It seems pretty heavy handed to me. I'm a big fan of Leadbelly, and knowing what I know about the man, I would imagine he would want his songs played.

UPDATE: On January 30, 2013, I received an email from a gentleman who coauthored a book with a descendant of Lead Belly. I also received the comment below from Lead_Belly_Music. Glad to hear Lead Belly's family is so supportive. I noticed the original video with the Lead Belly song is back on youtube with a button where people can purchase the original song. That is a great solution and I'm glad it all worked out so well. I love the Lead Belly song.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This demonstrates the total idiocy of the music recording industry and their paranoia of change. How this could be anything but beneficial to them is obvious to everyone except them!

Lead_Belly_Music said...

Hello, We have not received an email from you. If you don't mind I would like for you to email me a copy of the letter sent to you and the video you had posted on youtube to leadbellymusic@gmail.com. I will verify if it is from the family you have accused. They are big supporters of children and music and have been delighted to see children and families singing Lead Belly. They started a foundation that supports Louisiana public school music programs. Thanks so much for keep the legacy alive.

Michael Homan said...

Hi Lead_Belly_Music, thanks for your help. We never received a letter, just a vague email from youtube. I just checked and now the original version of the video is accessible again and there is a link about where you can purchase the original Leadbelly song. The original version of our video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeFGY_51c6M&list=UUBfFNfTScXd4ks92o7_u-Vg&index=19

Thanks again! It is great to hear that the family supports the legacy and so many positive things.

Lead_Belly_Music said...

Hello Michael,
I checked with the family and no one knew of this situation.The Lead Belly Legacy did not ask you tube to take the video down but it is possible the publishing company might have. Please send me an email when you can. We would love to send the kids something.