Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Richard Thompson's Newest Fan

I have recently become enchanted with the British songwriter and guitar player Richard Thompson. Don't know how I missed him my first 42 years, but glad he's on my radar now. I find his guitar playing to be pretty amazing, but it's his lyrics that I like the most. I've always been a fan of ballads.
My two favorite songs by him thus far are "Let it Blow" and "1952 Vincent Black Lightning." I've got to check out his earlier band, Fairport Convention.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

small town romance is a great live album. shoot out the lights, written as he and linda were divorcing, is a must.

"All of my friends don't comprehend me, Their kind of style it just offends me"

Ann said...

I had a boss who was a huge Fairport Convention/Richard Thompson fan. He told of claiming "I could never love a woman who doesn't love Fairport Convention." And then, when he met Candace, who also loved Fairport Convention, he had no choice but to marry her.

I'm a shallow 80's kind of fan of his. I liked his singles "Misunderstood" and "Feel So Good."

Anonymous said...

You're late to the dance, Malaka. I'm a hardcore RT and FC fan from way back when. Our big UK trip was to see FC and RT at Cropredy.

RT's best 21st Century albums are Mock Tudor and The Old Kit Bag.

Anonymous said...

I'm a recent convert myself. I saw him at JazzFest. Wasn't expecting much but he blew me away.

kathy said...

I second Mark C. The albums by Richard and Linda Thompson are exquisite. You should definitely check them out. As a side-note, after Richard and Linda divorced, she suffered through a psychological problem that caused her to lose her voice for a couple of years. She now records with her and Richard's son.