Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cholesterol & Liver Enzymes

Yesterday I went back to see Dr. Lombard to talk about my blood test. I waited 1 hour and 45 minutes to see him. That's certainly one of the main reasons that I avoided getting a check up for 20 years. He said my bad cholesterol should be below 160 and mine was at 174. The bigger issue involves liver enzymes. My AST (Aspartate Transaminase) was at 154 and should be below 40. My ALT (Alanine Transaminase) was at 264 and should be in the 40-60 range. He said my liver felt fine during the examination, but that he wanted me to have another blood test for hepatitis and also a liver sonogram. Depending on the results, he said they might recommend a biopsy, but that's something I wouldn't do.

So what's the deal with my liver? My lovely wife would be happy to tell you that I drink too much alcohol. I would point out that it is hard to live with my lovely wife without it. The doctor acknowledged that alcohol wasn't helping my liver, but he thinks the problem stems from something else. I'm pretty busy now getting ready to give two papers in Dallas at a conference, but when I get back, I'm going to try to invent a cocktail that helps fix livers. I think it will involve carrot juice and rye whiskey.


7 comments:

oyster said...

Sorry to hear about the enzymes in your liver. I will try the proposed cocktail-- which, if memory serves, was originally invented as a curative potion.

Jim Anderson said...

Try gin and tonic with lemon and a touch of garlic. You will then be free and clear of malaria and vampires, and vampires with malaria. Look, if this drink saves your life, and it probably will, then it also saves your liver.

Your driver said...

Successful transition from middle age to old age is all about the numbers. I've got three numbers that I have to check several times a week. They're all good, so far. Considering that I led an all out assault on my liver for 25 years, it's odd that my liver numbers have not been a problem.

Jim Anderson said...

In a recent stand-up, Robin Williams said that when he was young his doctor told him that taking drugs endangered his life; however, now that he is older, his doctor tells him that not taking drugs endangers his life.

Jim Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mark c. said...

mix a little milk thistle in with the gin fizz.

Judy B. said...

There is also NASH, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. It is no less serious, but at least it doesn't come from alcohol-ha! FQF is coming up soon. Hope to run into you again, maybe even at the tile shop! My best to your family-Judy in Arkansas