Tuesday, June 15, 2010

One of My Favorite Places

Today I had the great privilege of taking Gilgamesh to one of my favorite places on earth. We went to al Haram al-Sharif, which translates literally as "the noble sanctuary" though most English speakers call it the Temple Mount. There we talked about Jebusites, King Solomon, Abraham and the sacrifice of Isaac/Ishmael, threshing floors, the Holy of Holies, Herod, Jesus, sacrifice, Mohammad and his horse, the Umayyads, the Crusades, World War I, the wars in 1948 and 1967, the Ottomans, King Abdullah of Jordan's assassination, and Ariel Sharon and the Al Aqsa Intida, which began right before Gilgamesh was born.

I believe that if one can understand the history of Jerusalem, one can understand the history of Western civilization.
DSC00284.JPG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool shirt Gil. Too Bad Tickle Mouse isn't there with you. Tickle Mouse went to the Temple Mount with Kalypso many years ago. Ask Abu about him. I miss you and Abu a great deal. Be good to Abu and keep him out of trouble.
Love, Mom