Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Why It's Important to Live in Retarded States Like Louisiana

I've been busy and mentally drained with jury service, but I wanted to bring up three recent decisions by legislatures in our state capital that have me upset but at the same time thankful that I live on the front lines of the battle for the soul of America.

First, the House passed a bill with the margin of 77-18 that the state of Louisiana will not issue birth certificates for adopted children born in Louisiana that list the names of two parents if they are unmarried. Read: screw you gay couples. Of course Governor Bobby Jindal supports this legislation. I was adopted, and this bill is mean spirited and will hurt children. It will hurt the kids later on when they need health care or admittance into hospitals and schools. Great job mean people.

Second, the House Committee on the Administration of Criminal Justice passed a bill that would allow concealed handguns on university campuses by those with permits. Again, great job reps. Jindal supports this also, of course. How about this, allow guns in the House, Senate, and Capital building in Baton Rouge. Of course you do what the NRA says, will you go this far?

Third, a Louisiana Senate Panel voted to outlaw the creation of mutant hybrids of humans and other animals, such as some of my heros including Ratboy, Molepeople, and the wee "help me, help me" dude in The Fly. So much for my mermaid fantasy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it really necessary to use the word retarded? I'm giving you the
benefit of the doubt here but certainly you know that the word
retarded used as slang is extremely hurtful to people living with
special needs. Before I had a child with a disability, I pretty much
was like you. I don't know if I used the word but I certainly didn't
flinch when I heard it. What's the big deal, right? It is a huge
deal to people who have cognitive challenges. They get what you are
saying and they understand that you are mocking them, even if it's
unintentional.
Anyway, thank you for hearing me out.

Michael Homan said...

I understand Anonymous, and heard this line of thinking before, especially when the movie Tropic Thunder came out. But let me ask you, what word works better in the title? Doesn't "retarded" mean especially slow in this context? I'll try to choose my words more carefully in the future.

Anonymous said...

I hate when people miss the entire point of a post to rant about one little word that offends them. Get over it.