Thursday, February 15, 2007

Update from Columbus NE

As Valentine's day comes to a close, I'm in my father's hospital room hoping his pain comes to a merciful conclusion soon. He was much better yesterday. Yesterday I thought he might be around for a month or two at the most. Today it seems like days instead of months. He's in a great deal of pain it appears despite being heavily medicated. He hallucinates and yells for help consistently, he panics as he seems to think he is falling. Tomorrow he is being discharched to hospice in his apartment.
Later at 3am his wheezing decreased dramatically and he is sleeping pretty good now at 7am. He also no longer appears to be in pain. This is all positive and suddenly I'm back to thinking he could be around for a while. I'm amazed and humbled by this process. I'm also tired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this is so difficult. Our thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Remember to take care of yourself. Eat, sleep, etc. You can't take care of him if you don't.