Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Broken Arms and Living Life

Kalypso, my nine year old daughter, broke her arm Sunday evening. She had been playing with some friends at Jesuit High School on some football tackling dummies. I don't know the full details, but it seems three kids jumped off of it and it catapulted Kalypso into the air and she landed on the arm to brace her fall. Anyway, Therese came screaming into the house saying that Kalypso had broken her arm and was down the street. We jumped in the car and raced over there to see Kalypso on the sidewalk with a compound fracture. Both her radius and ulna were broken, and it was very painful for me to look at her arm bent in so many wrong directions. It was like a wet spagetti noodle. We put a piece of cardboard under the arm and rushed her to Children's Hospital, which is quite a ways away. The xray made me ill, as seeing those smashed bones so far out of place brought me so much pain. Anyway, they set her arm and put in a titanium rod to hold the ulna together. They were worried about infection in the bone, as it pierced the skin and was in dirt, but so far so good. She has been at the hospital ever since, though we are hoping to check out today and go home. I had huge plans for Monday and Tuesday in the library and writing categories, especially now that school is out for the summer. Sometimes it is the things you don't expect and don't want which make you slow down and learn to appreciate what you have. So get well Kalypso, that was some Mother's Day present you delivered, and I hope you recover soon.

1 comment:

Milton Stanley said...

So sorry to hear about your daughter, but it looks like things are going well under the circumstances. My family and I will be praying for Kalypso. Peace.