Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day Starting Off Well

I like to lay in bed when I first wake up, and listen to Morning Edition and read the Times-Picayune. And today on the front page was an article by David Hammer called "June 16 Last Day to Delcare Interest in Elevation Grants."

It seems we might be eligible to receive an additional $30,000 from FEMA for elevating our Katrina damaged home. We raised our house so that now we're just above the Katrina water line, or about 3 feet above Base Flood Elevation. I'm not sure just how high, as we haven't had a survey yet. Earlier we received a grant of $30,000 from the Louisiana Road Home to raise our house. But raising our house was expensive, and in the end cost $87,000. So I went to my old friend fema.gov, surfed around, and the website said to contact my local State Hazard Mitigation Officer, Mr Casey Levy. So I did, and I have my fingers crossed.

Also, it is the last day of school for the kids. They get out at noon, and then we're going to see the Indiana Jones movie.

Update: The day is getting worse. Mr Casey Levy wrote back saying to call the Office of Community Development (225-219-9600). The lady on the phone at the OCD said that once you received $150,000 from the Road Home, that was it. She said there was no way I was eligible for any additional FEMA funds, and when I explained David Hammer's article, she said she didn't have time to read it, but said that the article was wrong based on what I was telling her. So now I've emailed David Hammer asking him if hIs article is in error, or if I misread what he wrote, or if the lady at the OCD is mistaken?

Update 2: David heard back from the LRA and FEMA and confirmed that they are separate, so the lady on the phone at the OCD was wrong and I am still eligible to apply. Now if I can only convince the people with the forms that their policy is in error and that they should send me an application. I'll work on this tomorrow.

Update 3: I called the Road Home Elevation Assistance Hotline (877-0234-1513) and the lady on the phone was very helpful. She thought I should have been mailed something recently about this, and if I don't hear from her or receive the letter, to contact her office next Tuesday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Sue said...

Good luck. My money is on the OCD woman being wrong.

Karen said...

I spoke to David Hammer about something else a few weeks ago, it seems like the Road Home people love to tell applicants to contact him.