Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Xavier's Email Policy Puts Us All in Danger from Adrastos

I just sent an email to Adrastos in which I told him to "f-ck off," not literally or in a mean spirited way, just the sort of friendly blogger way. It's the sort of email that Adrastos gets hundreds of times a day, and frankly, if you've ever read his blog, it's certainly advice he needs to hear. There have been many documented cases where this same advice has saved lives, as Adrastos is often in need of being put back on the straight and narrow path. But now Adrastos can't get that advice from me at the moment he needs it most. My attempted email assistance was returned to me with the following message:
"The attached message contains content which violates Xavier's email policy. The message was not delivered to the intended recipients."
So now Adrastos will have to get this valuable advice from my blog, which might mean that many crucial hours will pass before he'll know to take a step back and reflect. God help us all.

7 comments:

LisaPal said...

Thanks for the nudge to test the system on my end. I am happy to report that the "fuck off" e-mail I sent to myself using my UNO e-mail account from campus went through just fine. It's a relief to know that there are no restrictions in the expletives I choose. I don't think I could bear the burden of guilt over potential lives lost.

Leigh C. said...

ROTFL! Oh, my Lord, that IS a hoot! What warranted this colorful metaphor?

Perhaps "Yuck Fou" might make it through.

Anonymous said...

Bite me, Scooter.

Anonymous said...

I wondered what might be going on. Pres. Francis just asked to meet with the Core committee and said that he wants us to remove any reference to Theology. I didn't know what to make of it because he just had some cryptic comment that "Theology faculty exercise profanity that is, quote, inconsistent with the mission of the university, and the like." I guess he reads all the email.

Anonymous said...

So, Francis knows about the cannibalism in that department. It's magically delicious.

Ashley said...

Whereas I can freely tell people to "fuck off" through my email system. All Catholic institutions are not alike.

Anonymous said...

XU may be Catholic, but XU's IT is runby baptists.

To be fair, IT sent a memo notifying faculty of these restrictions and nary a peep was raised in protest. I personally felt like it was not a battle I want to fight. Even though it is an indefensible policy.