Friday, March 07, 2008

Party of Asses

Q: How could an awful candidate who closely links his platform to one of the least popular presidents in history have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the 2008 presidential election?
A: He's running against the Democratic Party.

I sometimes wish the Democratic Party was my nemesis. I would be happy more often no doubt. My backing Democratic candidates is a lot like my sister's love of the Chicago Cubs. We're ruining the world's balance because we're supporting such inferior products who continually find ways to lose. But what am I going to do? My belief in equality, social justice, and compassion makes it impossible to support the modern Republican Party, and though my beliefs fit more in line with organizations such as the Green Party and even the Peace and Freedom Party, I feel like voting for them would be throwing my vote away with our current two party system. Anyway, over the next few weeks I'll watch the Obama-Clinton train wreck and then be upset with America in November of 2008 when they elect McCain. Good fun.

10 comments:

oyster said...

You're too gloomy.

I promise you, McCain won't win.

kathy said...

As I recently told a friend: In '04, the Dems chose a candidate who was all substance but no style...and now, with Obama (imho), they're on the way to choosing a candidate who's all style and no substance.

I don't think you're too gloomy. I am, too.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Oyster. If issues are the focus of the campaign, McCain loses. Always a big if...

Sue said...

I realize that as a Theology professor you probably have a direct line to the man upstairs (and given the current world situation, I'm perfectly happy with that gender assignment...), but I truly hope you are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

(Feel free to say "I told you so" in November...)

Anonymous said...

Michael-

The only wasted vote is if you settle for someone else instead of the best candidate. If Obama truely is you favorite, go for it. However, If you know there is a better candidate, vote for them. Otherwise, we have only ourselves to blame in november when we're pigeonholed in taking the lesser of two evils.
Wouldn't it be great to vote for someone you were excited about?

Anonymous said...

I have $20 riding on McCain winning. Not that I'd vote for the bastard, I just think he's likely to win. The democratic party is depressing to me too. But I'm just a lowly history professor, no link to the person upstairs, just doomed to relive the past over and over and over and over again...

Anonymous said...

I wish I was as confident as Oyster and Adrastos. I'm scared to death the dems are going to figure out a way to lose this thing. Scared. To. Death.

Anonymous said...

For years we have seen the Democratic Party make promises to African Americans while the Republicans had the first black Sec. State and the first balck female Nat Sec Advisor, two of the most important seats in the Cabinet. With OBama doing well we see the hidden racisim of "its not your turn" which turns my stomach.
Obama's campaign reminds me much of Carter, for whom I worked as a college kid. It was the last time I voted for a Dem while I did not vote last time. If Obama does not win the nomination I will continue my string of caring less. The lesser of an evil is still evil and a decision between a closet racist on one hand and a clear racist on the other is not much of a choice.
American needs badly another choice, a third party that willnot allow the two parties to trade power and change nothing, a third party that would not allow the polarization of every problem when the solution often is in the middle.

OBama for many of us is the last best hope before this country faces judgement for those things we have done and those things we continue to do.

Obama will make the way straight in the wilderness in which we live.

4Nails

Anonymous said...

For the record, I predicted a McCain victory first.

Hope I'm wrong!

Gophergutz said...

Democrats: We never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
It's all going to come down to one thing...how many of Clinton's/Obama's supporters are still going to be upset that they lost come November?