Thursday, July 12, 2012

Disturbance in the Force

Things are out of whack in my life for two major reasons. First, I boycotted the Times Picayune because they aren't going to publish daily. So when I woke up today, instead of reading a daily paper as I've done for the past 25 years, I just got my computer and went to work. I feel like I don't know what's going on in the world. That's a bit ironic, as with the internet I should feel more connected. But I enjoy starting the day with the paper. I read just about all of it in order. I think that the newspaper helps me be  a better teacher, as I can model to my students what an informed conscientious person looks like. Second, my employer Xavier University is thinking about switching from a departmental model to one of divisions. That's pretty scary to me, as I imagine faculty would have much less of a say in the governance of this institution. Thinking about a Catholic University without a Theology Department is unsettling to me. Instead, I would be in the division of the Humanities or something like that.

So to fix this imbalance I am going to end my boycott of the Times Picayune and resubscribe to the paper, even though I wish Ricky Mathews would go home and sell the paper to someone who would keep it a daily publication. As for my second stressful change, well, that's ongoing and I'll know more in the next six months. I keep trying to tell myself that the change will be OK but I can't convince myself. Maybe in the end it is the paper and keeping abreast of all of the news that makes me such a cynical pessimist?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn cuz you scaring us with the second stressful change.

i hope it works out. you are one of the rocks that gave us post katrina therapy by reading nola blogs.

us being me and my wife .

peace and happiness on you and your family and friends .

yah boy , rickngentilly

Michael Homan said...

Thanks my friend Rickngentilly. I'm doing fine, we're doing fine. One of the best things about blogging was finding out about the connections we have with you and yours.

Bloggingbooks said...

Dear Mr. Michael Homan,

I work for Bloggingbooks (bloggingbooks.net), which is the new publishing brand of SVH publishing house.

We are broadening our publishing programme and we have just started in publishing blog posts.
In this respect, we are glad to offer you the possibility of publishing your blog posts as a book.

Should you have interest in the publication of your posts or should you have any question, I would be pleased to answer your queries by e-mail.

You will find more information about our publishing house on our website: bloggingbooks.net

Looking forward to hearing from you.

contact email: m [dot] gorbulea [at] bloggingbooks [dot] de