Friday, December 11, 2009

Rome and Dr Marion Nelson

I just finished watching the first season of HBO's series Rome. It's brilliant, and it reminded me of one of my favorite teachers at the University of Nebraska at Omaha: Dr Marion Nelson. Back in the late 1980's I took several courses from her, two of which were Roman Republic and Roman Empire. It was her passion for the past and her amazing ability to synthesize stories that persuaded me to major in history. Thanks Dr Nelson.

I can't wait to watch the second and final season, though I've heard from my friend Nana Friedman (a classicist from Oxford and a Jordanian dig buddy) that it's not quite as good as the first season.

1 comment:

Sue said...

The Mark Antony actor went on to star in "The Philanthropist" which, while it had a hokey narration that took away from the program, dared to show us conditions around the world with some degree of reality.

Naturally, it was canceled after a half season.