Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Take My Struggle Against Allstate To the U.S. Senate

Yesterday, amongst all of my phone messages upon returning from Nebraska, was one from Aaron Cooper, who works as Counsel to Senator Leahy and the Senate Judiciary Committee. It seems that the Senate Judiciary Committee wants to investigate why the insurance industry is exempt from anti-trust laws, especially in light of the unethical ways that insurers such as Allstate and Statefarm have acted in the Gulf South following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. So because of this humble blog, because Therese and I appeared on CNN telling this story, because I previously testified to the Louisiana Senate Insurance Committee back in May of 2006, and mostly because of Hurricane Katrina and being screwed by Allstate and Haag Engineering, my name came up as someone who can present a personal account of being severely mistreated by Allstate. I believe that I'll testify the morning of Wednesday, March 7th, at 9:30 AM.

As a side note, I wish I could pick up the phone and tell my dad about this. He loved to talk about legal issues, ethics, and politics. I have the sad feeling that this hole in my heart since he passed away will last for the rest of my life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear about the Senate Judiciary Committee's investigation, and that you were chosen for all the right reasons. The hole in your heart will heal, although I know right now it feels like an impossibility. Healing takes time (sometimes a long time) and grieving is work, but the pain will fade - and the love will last forever. You will be ok.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Give 'em hell, bro.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Homan goes to Washington. Show 'em what's what, man.

Here's hoping the Demo takeover will get you a more sympathetic ear than you might have otherwise gotten (not that I think this is all partisan). I'm looking forward to seeing what a prepared, articulate, and, frankly, pissed guy like you can say to the powers that be. Channel that righteous indignation!

Anonymous said...

That's great news, Michael. I can't think of a better spokesman. I hope you won't forget the little people with big mouths after this...

Your driver said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad.

I'm glad you're being given a voice. I'm sure you'll do good work.

Amy said...

Michael,
You are in a place where ancestors are loved, revered, and kept alive by memory, a perfect place to stay close to your Dad. In a physical sense, no you can't just pick up the phone and call him, but in a new orleans sense, why the hell not? Just focus on him deep within yourself and when you feel his presence you can have the conversation or just tell him you love him. No doubt he will appreciate that.

In this place daily reality is constructed by the heart. There is a world of hurt, but there is also rememberance and moving forward, bringing our past, our dead and our dreams with us, in fact carrying them every day. It can be burden or inspiration, or both at the same time. I'm sure your Dad is both proud and entertained and loves when you talk to him through your heart.

You have a good, strong heart and he did well to raise you and we are glad to have you here. One day your house will be fixed and you and your children will look back on this and say 'remember when...'