Sunday, November 07, 2010

A Movie for Katrina Dogs and the People Who Love Them

I thought the documentary Mine 2009 was very well made and highly recommend it for people interested in the plight of animals and humans after Hurricane Katrina and the flooding of New Orleans area. I watched it with my dogs, who as Katrina survivors, they are interested in the topic too. We all cried a little I have to admit. It's a happy story for some of the participants, especially the families of Bandit and Murphy Brown. But for others, the situation is never resolved. Race and social class play a big role in the movie also. There' some real heros, and some villains, but most of the time the movie makers do a good job of presenting just how complicated this whole situation is, and what the ramifications would be for rescue dogs in the future if policies were changed. I have a neighbor who was forced to leave his house with his dog in it after the flood, was put on a plane to Utah against his will, fought really hard to get back to his house a week later to get his dog, only to find a note on his door stating the dog was no longer his but now resides in a happy home in California. He never saw his dog again. You can watch the trailer at the end of this post. By the way, our 2006 Barkus float and our bowling shirts made by Carol are visible towards the end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn you mike.

you just found the one katrina tear i had left.

sumbitch.


wow.

that cry felt good.

rickngentilly.

Charlotte said...

Michael,
I literally just finished reading your story in A Howling in the Wires and got on the computer to find your blog. Your dedication, love and sense of responsibility to your dogs touched me deeply. Now I see this trailer and, like Rick above, shed another Katrina tear.
I don't know how I missed finding your blog in those days and months after the storm. My loss. But I'll be back now I know where to find you.
Charlotte

Michael Homan said...

That's very nice of you Charlotte. Thanks,