Thursday, July 30, 2009

Yahweh's Edomite Hood

Yahweh it turns out is a pretty popular deity, with more than half of the world's population worshipping him today. There are a couple of passages in the Hebrew Bible that seem to indicate a notion that Yahweh originally came from southern Jordan, or what was called Edom during the Iron Age. One example is Judges 5:4, one of the oldest poems in the Bible:
"Yahweh, when you went out of Seir, when you marched out of the field of Edom, the earth trembled, and the heavens dropped, the clouds also dropped water."

I think you can learn quite a bit about a person by visiting their home. So it was nice to return to southern Jordan this summer, an area where I spent quite a bit of time in the late 90's. I very much enjoy walking around in the desert, and I don't find it surprising to read about so many people in history having encounters with Yahweh in the desert, including Moses, Jesus, Paul and Mohammad. Heck, even Billy Jack had religious experiences in the desert, though I don't think it was with Yahweh. Anyway, Yahweh's home is a beautiful, serene, and harsh environment. While I didn't hear Yahweh's voice, or even see a burning bush, it was a pleasant experience just the same. Plus, I'm glad God didn't appear to me and ask me to deliver any messages. I'm pretty busy getting ready for the Fall semester. Here is a picture of Yahweh's home, taken early one morning, and yes there is a bush there, but it wasn't on fire...
SunriseClouds12.JPG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael:

I was just listening to a utube interview where Thomas Levy was interviewing Richard Friedman. To my surprise Friedman singled you out by name as one who had undertaken archeology and biblical studies. He was pointing out that specialization in these fields make it unlikely that students can do that and he noted that only a handful of people are able to accomplish that and he mentioned you. He noted that you were able to detect what people in biblical times were drinking and what type of dwellings they lived in. He noted that few universities are able to teach both fields but those included UCSD, Penn St., Harvard, Chicago and Duke.

Congratuations,

Max Verret