Friday, June 20, 2008

Ramblin' Man

I just finished reading Born Standing Up, an autobiography by Steve Martin about the difficult years leading up to his success as a comic. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've always been a huge Martin fan. His albums "Let's Get Small" and "Wild and Crazy Guy" were the first comedy albums I owned, and I remember playing them over and over in my basement room. I was about 11 years old in those days. I very much enjoyed that his comedy wasn't mean, but rather it cleverly made fun of himself. Though I'm not a professional comic, I would say that Steve Martin's early comedy influenced my lecture style. That is why when I talk about the Battle of Jericho, I wear bunny ears.
Letsgetsmall

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martin may have been a good comic, but, for me, no one could come close to Mort Sohl in those great standups he did at the Hungry I.

P.S. Was there a battle of Jericho?
Kenyon dug her behind off there but couldn', find the walls that came "tumbling down".

12:23 PM  
Blogger Michael Homan said...

Honestly, I've never heard of Mort Sohl. I'll check him out. And there were no LB or Iron I fortifications that came a "tumblin' down." Only a few archaeology sites might show evidence of an Israelite destruction as described in Joshua, one of the main ones is Hazor. But that is all VERY controversial.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Adrastos said...

What no arrow in the head?

Btw, anonymous, Mort's last name is Sahl with an A.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

George Carlin has passed on: one of the last of a unique genre of stand up comedians, e.g. Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, and Hennie Youngman; comedy with great social import.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Leigh C. said...

I loved "Born Standing Up" as well. I've really enjoyed seeing the man transmogrify from stand-up comic to actor to writer.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home