Monday, December 18, 2006

Some Good News & Some Great News

First, The Good News:
I just finished grading. I find it emotionally exhausting. I remember when I was a student, and how I felt that at times grades were unfair and subjective. Often times they were. A wise teacher here at Xavier, Dr. Rotondo-McCord, often tells students to not let grades get in the way of learning. Good advice. I also know that many students in my Theology 1120: Intro to Biblical Studies course work very very hard and wind up with a D. It is a difficult class. I ask my students to come up with a project that will improve the world, and then implement it, all the time writing about it in a blog. One of my students, Joseph Jones, wrote "I feel as though it (the blog&project) shouldn’t be graded because it will make someone feel like their hard work and time was useless." I wish I didn't have to grade their work as well.

Second, The Great News:
To quote Hammhawk: "Tenure. Got it. Most glad." I also got promoted to the rank of Associate Professor. Now those damned students will listen to what I say. Oh yeah, they'll listen now for sure...

7 comments:

Editor B said...

Congrats on both counts.

mominem said...

Congratulations,

Now you can really get down to really celebrating the holidays, Mr. Associate Professor.

Anonymous said...

Great news, Mike. Obviously Xavier doesn't know about the beer hat or the costume you wore to Casa Kim...

Congrats.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear you say...

"That's _Professor_ Homan to you".

Renegade Seismology said...

Congratulations!
Now, what are you going to go to celebrate? And where! I don't want to be caught in the blast radius......

Anonymous said...

Yea! Congratulations Michael!

Anonymous said...

Mark G.

Great for you. You really deserve it. You're a great teacher and a very fine scholar. It's a privilege to be your friend and colleague.

Mark