Monday, August 08, 2005

Peter Jennings

I was suprised and sad to learn of the death of Peter Jennings this morning. I always felt he had a very balanced approach to the Middle East. He used to stay at the American Colony in East Jerusalem, very close to the Albright. His consistent coverage helped me deal with some difficult events that I lived through such as 9/11, the invasion of Iraq, and the last national election. One of my relatives, based on a false report by Rush Limbaugh, believes that Peter Jennings said after the attacks of 9/11 that the president should "quit hiding behind the Secret Service, come out and face the nation and explain the 'President's failure' to protect the country." Of course he never said that, and I'll miss watching the news with Peter Jennings. It seems that Brokaw is all that is left of the network news triumverate.

No comments: