Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Xavier Cuts Jobs

Recently I learned that Xavier cut 58% of staff and 36% of faculty. Many of the faculty had tenure, and even in my department contracts were only offered to 4 of the 7 people. I was offered a contract, which doesn't make sense to me at this point, because 2 of the 3 people who lost their jobs had more experience at Xavier than I did. All 3 are great teachers, and great colleagues, and I will miss them so much. The Times Picayune has an article about it here. It is all so depressing. When I speak to Xavier people on the phone, and it turns out they have been offered a contract, it isn't like you can say "congratulations." And if they weren't offered a contract, that is so awful. I feel horrible for them and their families. And I sort of become the elephant in the room, because I am a junior faculty without tenure who has been offered a contract while many senior faculty with tenure were let go. I feel very guilty about all of this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop feeling guilty! None of this is your fault. I am thrilled that you still have a job and will be able to take care of your family and I am excited about the next great adventure that is in store for us. I don't know how the "powers that be" arrived at their final decision, but I know that whatever happens will work out for the best. We miss you guys! Thanks for posting the halloween pictures of the kids.